Monday, May 18, 2009

Layoffs at LBCC are heartfelt





Layoffs at LBCC are heartfelt by many and responses are noted today. After 23years of service Janet Jones employee at LBCC cafeteria suffers lay off. A smile on her face and tears in her eyes Jones checks out each patron at the cash register. When asked how are you today? “I’m worried I could lose 50 percent of my PERS retirement approximately 50 thousand dollars if unable to find another job with PERS benefits. There is a stimulus package available to help with 65 percent of the monthly payment for my family health insurance for nine months. My cost is $365.60 and my unemployment doesn’t kick in until Sept."

"I have given my heart to this program.” Jones said. “ I am not the only person you should be talking to, there are several other people that are being laid-off and having a more difficult time like Ramone he has seven children.” Jones said.

How difficult it must be to still have your job and watch your co-workers lose their jobs. “Nobody feels safe. I feel bad about the loss it’s kind of like a sudden death.” Pam Adams said.

Ramone said, “I was looking forward to starting my 11th year at LBCC. I had a management position and I was shocked when I found out I am going to be laid- off at the end of this term. I thought at the minimum another job would be offered.,” said Ramone.

When asked how are you feeling? I feel numb. I just want to be strong for my kids. I have seven children six adopted and one child we have legal guardianship. They are between the ages of four and 11years old and one is a special needs child. I am fortunate to have the support of my wife, a natural grandparent of one of the adopted kids that helps as well as an aunt and uncle that watch our special needs child once a week to give us a break,” said Ramone.

What are your options? “Maybe I’ll go back to school. I really do not know what is available out there yet we are supposed to get some information to help us from the school in a couple of weeks. I cannot give up I have to stay strong for my kids” Said Ramone.


"LBCC has an expected 2.6 millon dollars in shortfalls." Marlene Propst said.

Anyone looking for more information to understand what LBCC is being faced with financially can visit the LBCC website. The video at the bottom of the list is from the LBCC president.

http://po.linnbenton.edu/stateofthecollege/stateofthecollege2009/


By Lillian Love

No comments:

Post a Comment